Monday, September 20, 2010

Women's Running Events

Interlopers Run Amok: Guys Crash Road Races for Women

They Come in First, Are Dissed at Finish; For Meeting Fit Females, 'It's Hard to Beat'

Wall Street Journal, Kevin Helliker, 09/20/2010

Ironically, this article was sent to me as I depart for Nashville this week for the Women's Running Magazine Nashville Women's Half Marathon. I registered for this race months ago and had barely checked out the race details or race website before reading this article. When I registered I hadn't given much thought to the fact that this will be a "women's" race in a very literal sense. The goody bag, according to the website, is the ultimate women's goody bag which I have no doubt it will be seeing as how the race is organized by Women's Running Magazine & Martha Stewart's Apprentice winner, Dawna Stone.

Before reading this article I was simply looking forward to exploring Nashville and having a good time running 13.1 miles. Now I'm a little more nervous about the competition as I'm sure there will be some tough chicks out there ready to rock the race. I usually use the guys in front of me as extra motivation. I don't know why but it is a great feeling to close the gap and eventually take over guys out in front of me, especially those who were muscling or elbowing their way in front of me at the starting line. And it's always great to get compliments after the race from incredibly fit guys saying they were trying to catch me and my ponytail. Aside from being a little more nervous about the female competition, I am not sure what to expect at this all women's running events. I hate to say it but in most races, the females I am running alongside or near are not too friendly. The most trash talk on the course and most disrespectful behavior I've witnessed has been committed by women - spitting, intentional flat-tires, running directly in front of me, elbows and just flat out bad attitudes. I do not think I will see this at the upcoming race in Nashville but I'm sure there will be a small percentage of runners at the head of the pack exhibiting some of the typical female behavior that I frequently experience at races. I'll definitely miss the male competition. I'm not sure I understand why men would want to run a race that's geared towards women and deters them from competing but at the same time, why not welcome them into the race?

I'm super excited to be heading to Nashville!

No comments:

Post a Comment