Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nashville - A Running Community

While I didn't have the best race in Nashville this past weekend, I absolutely loved the entire experience. The race was an inaugural event that I found out they were capping at 5,000 runners. The course was challenging but took us through great areas of Nashville. I was surprised to see the amazing crowd support throughout the entire race. The people lining the course ran the gamut from little kids with cow bells to entire families and young adults with coffee in hand. It was great to see so many people out supporting this new race.

I was also blown away at the number of volunteers and how sweet and helpful they all were. When I crossed the finish line 3-4 volunteers approached me with water, a space blanket and simply to congratulate me and see if I needed anything. While hanging out in the finisher's area, a couple more volunteers came up to me to see if I needed anything and again offer congratulations to myself and the other runners. I couldn't believe how friendly everyone was - this is what Southern hospitality is all about. I was so shocked at how attentive the volunteers were I asked a couple what organization they were with and why they were volunteering. One woman, who volunteers each year with the Nashville Country Music Marathon, said she just wanted to be a part of this new event and check it out. Two other young girls (late teens or early twenties) were also volunteering just to be a part of this event. There was no underlying motive for the majority of these volunteers. They were not forced to volunteer, they weren't doing it to meet any volunteer hour requirements and they weren't part of any organization or non-profit that was partnered with the race. Road races are dependent on volunteers, not just to show up, but to work hard and be helpful. The volunteers at this race were the best I had ever seen and were absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe how friendly and nice everyone was but what surprised me the most is that these people just wanted to be a part of the event and were taking pride in showcasing their hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment